Enviroment Policy & Management
Status of Environment Clearance of Coal Mine Projects
Status of Environment Clearance of Thermal Power Projects
Environment Policy & Environment Management System
For NTPC, the journey extends much beyond generating power. Right from its inception, the company had a well defined environment policy. More than just generating power, it is committed to sustainable growth of power.
NTPC has evolved sound environment practices.
National Environment Policy
The Ministry of Environment and Forests and the Ministry of Power and NTPC were involved in preparing the draft Environment Policy (NEP) which was later approved by the Union Cabinet in May 2006.
NTPC Environment Policy
Since its inception NTPC has been at the forefront of Environment management. In November 1995, NTPC brought out a comprehensive document entitled ‘NTPC Environment Policy and Environment Management System. Amongst the guiding principles adopted in the document are the company's pro-active approach to environment, optimum utilisation of equipment, adoption of latest technologies and continual environment improvement. The policy also envisages efficient utilisation of resources, thereby minimising waste, maximising ash utilisation and ensuring a green belt all around the plant for maintaining ecological balance.
Environment Management, Occupational Health and Safety Systems
NTPC has actively gone for adoption of the best international practices on environment, occupational health and safety areas. The organisation has pursued the Environmental Management System (EMS) ISO 14001 and the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment System OHSAS 18001 at its different establishments. As a result of pursuing these practices, all NTPC power stations have been certified for ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 by reputed national and international certifying agencies.
Pollution Control Systems
While deciding the appropriate technology for its projects, NTPC integrates many environmental provisions into the plant design. In order to ensure that NTPC complies with all the stipulated environment norms, following state-of-the-art pollution control systems / devices have been installed to control air and water pollution:
- Electrostatic Precipitators
- Flue Gas Stacks
- Low-NOX Burners
- Neutralisation Pits
- Coal Settling Pits / Oil Settling Pits
- DE & DS Systems Cooling Tower
- Ash Dykes & Ash Disposal Systems
- Ash Water Recycling System
- Dry Ash Extraction System (DAES)
- Liquid Waste Treatment Plants & Management System
- Sewage Treatment Plants & Facilities
- Environmental Institutional Set-up
Following are the additional measures taken by NTPC in the area of Environment Management:
- Environment Management During Operation Phase
- Monitoring of Environmental Parameters
- On-Line Data Base Management
- Environment Review
- Upgradation & Retrofitting of Pollution Control Systems
- Resources Conservation
- Waste Management
- Municipal Waste Management
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Bio-Medical Waste Management
- Land Use / Bio-diversity
- Reclamation of Abandoned Ash ponds
- Green Belts, Afforestation & Energy Plantations